Monday, December 08, 2008

Hello Work!

Five and a half years ago, I received my first pay slip in Japan. Along with my monthly salary, there was a list of deductions- income tax, national health insurance, local resident’s tax, pension, apartment rent, and finally, unemployment insurance. I didn’t mind paying for health insurance or taxes, and I would be able to claim most of the pension I paid out once I returned to the US. But I was a bit miffed by the unemployment insurance. I laughed out loud. I would NEVER be able to re-coup that money. I would only be staying in Japan a year or two and then would leave. I would be employed the entire time and 60USD or so a month was quite a bit of money to pay to some government program I would never use!

As I write this now, I get to laugh again! Never say never, right? I now find myself, still in Japan, many years later, unemployed. As my former employer so kindly informed me as my contract was nearing its end, I would be eligible for unemployment benefits. They filed all the proper paperwork for me and now that I have returned to Japan, after my summer sojourn, I had to report to the unemployment office, comically named “Hello Work”. Two weeks ago, a wonderful friend volunteered to accompany me to help with translation, since some very difficult terms would be used. I was really nervous about what everyone’s reaction to me would be but at the same time, I have legitimately worked here for five years. After about an hour and a half of filling out paperwork and a short interview with my ‘caseworker’, we were finished and I was asked to attend the orientation the next week.

Last Thursday, I showed up promptly at one o’clock. I giggled to myself as I watched a caseworker do a double take and turn to his colleague to be sure the application was not a joke before he called me to the counter to complete the check-in procedures. I was sent to a room full of about fifteen people and orientation began. We first watched a thirty-minute video outlining how our benefits would be calculated, when we would receive them and what would be required of us over the next few months. Then we listened to an hour long, very detailed explanation of all the paperwork and the points previously introduced in the video. While every case varies, I can explain mine. Since I have worked between one and five years and am under the age of 60, I am eligible to receive benefits for 90 days. Each day, assuming I don’t work more than four hours, I will receive the full amount. Over one month, the amount roughly equals half the monthly salary I was previously earning (although it is a very small total amount compared to what was deducted from my paychecks over five years, it is still something that will help Craig and I adjust to a single income). If I work between one and four hours in a day, a reduced benefit is calculated. I will receive benefits for the full ninety days provided I follow all the required procedures.

The most important of these procedures is my monthly ‘report in’ day. I must show up at the office with my paperwork once every four weeks and meet with a caseworker. Together we will go over what activities I have been involved in over the month (filled out on a form) and what days I was able to find work. Basically I have to show them that I am able to work and actively seeking work. I am required to appear at “Hello Work” (every time I use that name I smile!) at least twice a month, other than my ‘report in’ day, to ‘job search’ or participate in other job training activities. I have to check-in each time I appear and write all my activities out clearly on a form. The job searching is usually carried out on computers that list all the positions available in the prefectural area. But since my reading level has yet to pass that of a sixth grade child, I have to meet with a caseworker to verbally discuss possible job options (at least I can speak some Japanese by now!). Activities I can also count toward my monthly two are interview practice, resume writing, and career development seminars. I hope to attend at least the resume-writing workshop, as it will be useful in my future here.

The orientation droned on with two other thirty-minute speeches by other men. The first, what happens if you are not totally honest on your paperwork about any work you do during your benefit period? If you fail to report the income you receive, the man solemnly stated, you would be required to pay all your benefits back and up to three times the original amount in fines! He also discussed some cases in the past where people had made mistakes and what had happened to them. Craig would have dubbed this portion of the talk “Be Afraid of this!” The main message though was, don’t lie about any income you might be receiving or you will be prosecuted. The last speaker outlined a few job-training courses that are available through a local technical college. And then, the three-hour, ‘exhaust Katy’s Japanese listening skills’, orientation was over. I stood and turned to leave, only to look up into the face of one of my former high school students, who graduated about three years ago. I was shocked and humiliated! I simply ducked my head and ran out, not wanting to again, give another description to a shocked listener about why I am not currently employed!

Regressing to the first time I met with my caseworker, Omura-san, I think he wanted to laugh at me. He was very skeptical and clearly stated that it would be difficult to actually find work for me. Of course I know this, but I have to go through the official channel in order to receive my benefits. The only likely way I will find part time work will be through our network of friends and former colleagues, not from official job listings meant for Japanese people. But he had to try, and I had to show my active seeking, so he brought out two options. One was for a juku (cram school) position, explaining English grammar to high school students. Yeah, my Japanese is not that good! The other was for a day care like situation, run by the city, for grade school students over winter break. This would normally be fine but since we are heading to Shanghai for the holidays this job was also not possible. I got my first scolding, “If I was going to actively seek work in Japan, I could not be taking long holidays all the time to my own country or other places!” Omura-san then brought up my long summer absence- why had I not come in to start my benefits immediately after I became unemployed? What had I been doing for the last three months? Of course the sheepish answer was, I had been in my own country on holiday! Ha! More scolding ensued…

After some discussion about my interests, he coaxed out that I enjoyed cooking. YES! That was it! Omura-san dashed off to the filing cabinet that held the paper job listings and returned with a triumphant look on his face. He knew a Chinese woman who had just obtained employment at this place and therefore, knew they were willing to hire foreigners. The place of employment was The University of Shimane cafeteria!!! Very convenient since my husband worked there too!!! I turned bright red with embarrassment and humiliation and luckily, in Japan too, it is strange/embarrassing to work in the same place as your spouse so he quickly understood that this position was impossible for me. That was all he seemed able to come up with and since we had tried hard for the day he encouraged me, reminded me of the upcoming orientation, and sent me on my way.

During my Hello Work orientation visit, I didn’t mention my classes (three hours a week) at Aishin High School, so when I go for my first ‘report in’ day next week, I will be able to report that I have indeed been seeking, and have found, some work. I can state on my paperwork that I have worked three days in my first four week period and therefore, should adequately demonstrate the ‘active job seeking’ they are required to confirm before stamping through approval of the first payout of my benefits.

Having only been through a bit of the system so far, I do think that it does attempt to ensure the government is not wasting its money paying unemployment to people who are merely sitting at home, watching TV and eating senbei (rice crackers). You have to strictly report any income you receive, show up a few times a month to search for work, and meet a minimum number of job search related activities. While I find it stressful to visit Hello Work, I do appreciate that the government is not just handing out money freely. I also find it amusing that I am even receiving ‘welfare’ in the first place. Welfare is almost a dirty word in the white collar, university educated class I grew up in (but that is a whole other topic). I am just surprised to be in this situation in Japan, and to be able to receive benefits just as any Japanese would. Life takes such interesting directions. Stay tuned for more “Hello Work- Adventures with Omura-san” …

No comments: